Monday, February 1, 2010

I'M NOT YELLING!

Sometimes people just make me laugh and cringe at the same time.

(I won't regale you with the whole tale, but if you are curious about the preceding events, just ask.)

To make it simple, I had a client who was very upset with me because things were just not going their way that day. (Which I will mention that these events were totally out of my control since I'm the secretary.) Because of one issue, all of their appointments were having to be rescheduled, and this individual does not like being rescheduled. We had dealt twice on the phone already when the following events took place...

I was on the phone trying to explain that one week from that day was the soonest I could get them in when the line went dead. I assumed they had gotten angry to the point of hanging up on me (they were already being quite caddy with me and it wouldn't have been surprising) I waited for the phone to ring and the excuses to flow.

...and I waited...


...and I waited...

And then they came barging in the door... "I'm going to pretend that you did not just hang up on me, and I'm not going to yell at you about it!" was the first words out of their mouth.

And this is when I laughed and cringed and thought to myself..."Did you realize that you did just yell at me about what you were pretending didn't happen? ...aaahhh I didn't think so."

2 comments:

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Oh that brings me back to my working days when patients would tell me how they were not going to complain about . . . And I would just sit and listen to what they were NOT complaining about. Stay at Home Mommy really is quite nice.

Jana said...

This is one of the reasons why I liked spending hours by myself watering trees, or transplanting plugs in the greenhouse. It was much preferred to dealing with customers.

I'm interested to know what you replied to the person who didn't yell at you.